我的快樂 會回來的

5/05/2005

Fight and biochemistry lab book

Had major fight with sister about silly blog thing. Today I fix it and hopefully everything will be o.k. However, quickly made up when she asked me how to do biochemistry lab.
I did this particular lab in 2001 (three years ago) so it was not easy for me even to find this lab book. However, after ten minutes of moving lecture notes, looking through dusty boxes and putting these notes on the crowded sunroom stairs, finally come across the desired purple book. YA! That's what I am looking for!
After fishing the book out from sunroom, I embarked on teaching her how to do this lab. It is very hard. I will have admit that after all these years that I don't remember a thing about this lab. It's good that the university doesn't change the lab set-up too much so I can help her solve the intricate problems about alcohol dehydrogenase and drunk drivers, and plot Lineweaver-Burke plot. Discover that I haven't done it after three years so I drew the graph enthusiastically. Worked out the answer to the questions, but she has got a totally different outcome to me. Interesting. Then after two hours of intensive teaching/discussion, she proceeds to complete the pre-lab questions, which I helped as well.
Feeling very good because actually doing something. Thinking and solving problems are my specialty.
Today's lab is going really well but ozone is not killing any bugs. According to the results I've got, if you add ozone to Reverse Osmosis (RO) water, and pool this with bacterial solution, then plate the solution our on blood esculin plate, there's no inhibition of growth what so ever. >_< Up until now, I get good killing results from gas exposure but no good results for liquid exposure. What is wrong with the experiment? Or is it simply because the concentration of ozone in the liquid is too low to inhibit the growth of bacteria? There's no point to use liquid if this is the case. This implies that it will be impossible to use ozonated waters to inhibit the growth of bacteria. I sincerely hope this is not the case.
Will go rock climbing again because it's half-price night. Very happy about the sport. May not be able to do outdoor stuff because weather is going to be "yucky" (like our friend said) in winter. However, saw the snow picture on Mt. Hutt. Should check it out! Wondering when Mt. Ruapehu will have snow on it. Maybe should organise skiing with friends because she has been to skiing. ^_^
Tramping is kind of out of question if it rains a lot, but I love tramping. Actually prefer tramping to rock climbing because it doesn't require so much energy.

No comments: