我的快樂 會回來的

5/24/2005

How to solve a problem

How do you solve a problem? An engineer will tackle the problem with vigor and that's exactly what I've done. I face the problem with determination and intelligence. It is just a matter of time when the problem is solved and the job is easily done.
Work has been hectic. I have been driving up and done from the lab to track down the nutrient agar plates, but they have not come. I will have to postpone the experiment until tomorrow. I spend the whole day trying to fix graphical results. It may sound easy to other people, but it involves the following steps.
First, the files are sorted by date. Fortunately, most of my files have date as file names. The ones without dates are checked against the lab book so they now all have dates attached to the file name. Second, I sort the files by year. They are put into two different folders. Third, I start sorting out the results in the summary files.
This is very tricky because the summary files include all the results from all days. I have cut and paste the results from the original files into the summary, sometimes they have not been cut correctly so I am doing a double check. This yields some errors and I have fix them.
The graphs are in disarray. Some needs to be interpolated. Some needs trendline. Some simply needs to be re-drawn.
Five o'clock. Twenty pass five. I leave and enter a house that is equally messy and miserable.
Everybody is feeling down right now. For some reason I start crying and tidy my room when tears are streaming down my face. However, after tidying up my desk, I feel heaps better. Write up my lab book for the day's activity and help sister to do some engineering problems.
When everybody goes to sleep, I finish writing up her homework then climb up to a warm bed. Today has been hectic, but I have solved three engineering problems that I have some recollection from my undergraduate study; grown two species of bacteria up for tomorrow's experiment; sort out graphs that looked ridiculous before and are more presentable now.
I have to say that I know how to solve a problem. If I have a problem, then I am not afraid to solve it.

No comments: