我的快樂 會回來的

10/16/2004

Cultural filled day

It's so great! I love today. Today I woke up to a grey sky, but the movie that I went to watch was so good. It's The Notebook. The leading actors/actresses are relatively unknown, but they are very good at acting, and the story was moving.

An old woman had forgotten about her past because of the degenerative dementia. Her husband, Noah, took care of her. He is telling her their past love. It's set in the 1940. You see this poor young lad, who works in the logging factory. He is very good with his hands, and certainly crazy in love with Allie, Allyson Hamilton, the rich South Carolina girl.

She comes from a rich background, and is educated and sophisticated. Loves painting, plays piano very well. He is from an average family, with an old house, and a dream of restoring the Windsor plantation house back. It's their dream house. However, when the romantic summer encounter ends, Noah and Ally know they will not be able to be together. It's just a dream.

Ally leaves for New York and Noah stays behind. He writes to her everyday for 365 days, and tells her that he still loves her even though they broke up the night before she left. Her mother kept all their letters and they had to forget about each other.

The war broke out, Noah and Fin went to work in the city and later joined the war together. Fin died in the World War II, and Ally met another rich man from the south, Long. They fell in love and he proposed in a dance hall.

She is trying on the wedding gown, but sees Noah, standing in front of his restored Victorian house. With the white wall and the blue shutters, just like she ordered and he had kept his promise. Meanwhile, Noah is sleeping with a war widow, Martha.

Ally can not help but wonder what if they are together, and goes back to Seabrook immediately. Their romance had never ended, they are now sleeping together. She is painting again, and goes into the beautiful lake with all the ducks and it rains. So romantic. They make love in the house.

In the morning, her mother comes and brings Long with her. She tells Ally about her past love, who still works in the Sand factory in the small town, Seabrook. Yes, she loves her father and he is very rich, but her mother is not happy about her marriage. She tells her to make the right choice for herself, and gives back all her letters.

Ally fights with Noah, and goes to see Long. However, on the way to town, she nearly crashes into an oncoming truck. She reads Noah's letters, and is moved by his undying love.

She breaks up with Long, and marries Noah.

Noah's young kids, now parents themselves, come to visit the old, withering parents in the sanitorium. They need their father, too.

After Noah has finished the story, Ally has immeidately slipped into the dementia state, and has forgotten the reality again. She comes back the day after Noah's third heart attack, and stays in an isolated room for a while.

Noah knows that he is dying, so he goes and see her. The nurse lets him, and they die on the sanitorium/hospital bed together in sleep.

It's such a beautiful set movie, with nice scenery, and very good acting. I love it.

After watching the movie, I went to lunch, the bookshop, and the library. I borrowed some books, and my sister also borrowed some. I think my friend bought one book. She has other engagements, so I take my sister to university.

She stays in the library, and I go to the United Youth concert. It's great, too. I loved it, but was too sleepy. It's a bit long, but I think I will start playing again after their holiday. It's great, isn't it? I am free now.

I think I will be busier, but this time I will organise my time around the schedule. I am not going to stop playing cello and lose touch with music.

I am so happy! Need to go home soon.

2 comments:

Jeanie Tseng said...

hey spoilers!

Linda - Managing Director said...

But then again, there's the novel. The novel will definitely spoil the movie, so I haven't done anything that's damaging lah.